Saturday, July 4, 2009

Celebrate Freedom


Written July 3, 2009 for the Women of Destiny Newsletter
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. Isaiah 61:1 (NLT)
Have you ever answered the infamous icebreaker questions? "What's your favorite color, what was the last book you read? Favorite food?" But have you ever been asked this one, "What's your favorite word?" My answer would be: "Free"! Whenever I hear it, my ears perk up and my heart leaps at the thrill of being and having anything free. I salivate over a Dillard's ad containing the phrase "take an additional 75% off"; do I hear clearance anyone? "Freedom" floods my mind with visions of dancing, walking on water, birds flying, leaping off the edge of a cliff and slowly gliding. Of course, I can't neglect my ultimate vision - being on vacation. Ahhhhhhhh.....uninterrupted relaxation!
As we approach the eve of Independence Day, I can't help but ponder the freedom I have experienced in my own life. Freedom, for me is more than what it appears to mean in the natural. Let's see, I have sought freedom from fear, self-consciousness, procrastination, controlling people, being controlled by others; the list goes on.
Revelation of how much God truly loves me and meditating on His Word has strengthened my ability to walk in freedom. The Bible, as described by Creflo Dollar, "is not a book of rules, but a bag of Seed." Galatians 5:1 encourages us to remember that "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (NIV) Receiving healing from past hurts has allowed me to say, "Bye bye" to the embittered, "I aint trustin' nobody", nobody that used to exist, and greet a renewed me. I'm gaining the freedom to say no, be vulnerable, transparent, and go where I've never gone before, cultivating a whole heart.
Till next time, let's walk about in freedom as we seek out His precepts! (Psalm 119:4-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment